Sunday, July 1, 2007

Interview With Tom McKnight From The Final Round Of The Commerce Bank Championship

In 57 career tournaments played on the Champions Tour Tom McKnight has six top ten finishes, twenty top twenty-five finishes and has earned $1,058,424. With a victory Sunday at the Commerce Bank Championship, McKnight would record his first win and take home a purse of $225,000.

During Saturday's second-round he shot a 5-under 66 to pull within three shots of leader Lonnie Nielson.

David: With a 5-under 66 yesterday what was the key to your success?

McKnight: I just kept the ball. I just didn't make many mistakes. I kept the ball in play, made a few putts. Just really didn't put myself in position to make boggies. The one chance I had to make bogey I got it up and saved par. I really played pretty steady.

David: This would be your first win on the Champions Tour. What sort of accomplishment would that be?

McKnight: I always have to see what happens. But uh, you know, just one round at a time.

David: How impressed have you been with how well the greens have played this week?

McKnight: The greens have been good. The course is good. You know, it's in very good shape and the greens are great.

David: After enjoying a successful amateur career, what were you able to bring over to the Champions Tour?

McKnight: Oh, just the love of competition really. I just love to play tournament golf and this was sort of the next level. It has been good for me. God has been good to me. I just wanted to go out and do something differently and this has been an offering for me.

David: Talk about after your first attempt to come to the PGA and why you decided to come back.

McKnight: Well, I just had a good opportunity after I came out of the program and then got into the family business. I had a family and then just went a different route. And the kids got big in age and sold the business. Just a good opportunity for me to try to get out there.

No comments: